Sunday 28 November 2010

New poetry piece - In Exile

I live beyond love’s pale,
A traveller, a tinker, surviving at the barren margins.
Me, who once knew the warmth within,
But withdrew to the sanctuary of exile.
Seldom chance will draw me back inside
The shrinking bounds. For here I am a mere visitor,
Offering nought but a mockery of the familiar
Devotion I see with wistful envy all around.
At times I cannot sleep and fancy that I
Will make my triumphant return.
I would throw up a floral tribute in my footfall
And cast myself on the tenderness of a beloved Dulcinea,
For whom I will endure, endlessly, all trials.
Then comes the dawn and my fantasy dissipates,
For I can see her before me. I long to drown
In her eyes, in her arms, in her care,
But silence has lease and no words will come.
Struggle as I might, I am scared to speak or move and
Rooted, I wait for the veil to fall and hide her
Away, unknown forever in wholesome depth,
Another to come and take her blessing.
I live beyond love’s pale,
And yet I cannot bear the cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment