Tuesday 30 November 2010

All about your legacy, man

This is one of those posts that springs from an oddly random thought. I happened to be thinking about politicians continually fretting about their legacy. Now, fear not, I am not going to launch into a discourse on the relative merits (or lack thereof) of the current crop of career politicians, but I did decide fretting about this seemed an excellent waste of thought power, time and personal energy. Here, therefore, I am, about to ponder the greatest of mysteries. What is my legacy?

We can certainly rule out progeny at this stage of the game. As I reported in last night's entry, the whole arena of romance is a minefield for me at the moment, so there is unlikely to be the immediate patter of tiny feet, nor an army of Daves and Davinas upon whom I can impress my world vision.

Similarly, there are no great inventions to which I can lay claim. Notwithstanding the Dave's F***** cocktail which I have mentioned before, this having no official status and indeed, just being a means to a particular favourite end du temps. I could try and backdate a patent on the 'running on the spot' dance which I have perfected I suppose. Or maybe not.

So, no kids and no inventions. Sporting greatness? To be fair, there can be few heavier smokers (long since quit now) that could bowl 12 overs of fast-medium (then medium by and by slow-medium) every Saturday without falling apart. Nor indeed have many found such an array of ludicrously inappropriate shots with which to gift one's wicket to the opposition. However, now that we come to it, I'd really rather my legacy were not as a chain-smoking bowler with a penchant for the slog. My other sporting achievements boil down to a few games of badminton and the inanity of school rubgy and hockey.

Hmmmm, not easy is it? This, I guess, is the point - you don't get to pick and choose your legacy, it just sort of happens to you along the way. What you can do is try and skew things to a favourable outcome and one day in the distant future, friends and loved ones will miss certain somethings when I am not around. That's it! The things people miss about you when you are not around. That's my legacy - the stuff only I can get away with saying, or only I would do. Being just the right man for a particular thingymajig.

Who needs the wing of a hospital named after them when you can have a legacy that involves people thinking of you and smiling?

No comments:

Post a Comment