Monday 27 February 2012

Losing it

Bubbling away behind the scenes is a deep seated and mostly undisclosed fear of mine. The fear that my mind is not strong enough to fight the demons that afflict it and will one day snap, leaving me as no longer me, but some unrecognisable version unable to relate to the people around me, the people I love, the way I do now.

The trouble is, what's normal and what's not? Everyone has their idiosyncracies, little things they say or do that help define them. There is no set series of actions and reactions that everyone follows that I can hang my hat on as normality. How would I know if what I do is (or will be) taking me down a path where the me of right now would no longer recognise the me that emerges? I guess that is the key to the fear, that I will not know, I will be part of the change, all the time thinking I am the same, constant as it were, when to all those around me my actions and reactions slip further and further from the reality of now.

Some things I do at the moment give me cause for concern on occasion. I sometimes stop and talk to pussy cats and I am forever anthropomorphising stuffed animals. Do either of these things hurt anyone? No. Do they make me a bit daft? Yes. Neither of these is the point though. The fact is i know that cats do not understand me and I know full well that teddy bears are not real, but it is comfortable to pretend, it is a compensation for some of the harshness of reality. And there is the rub. I know that neither of these actions make sense, and yet I crave the comfort of doing them. I normalise the actions in my mind, I convince myself its OK to be daft. And don't get me wrong, it is totally OK to be daft.

The problem is, however, this process of normalisation. It is not just harmless, daft, eccentricity that is normalised. As an OCD sufferer, there are complicated rituals and compulsions that my mind normalises without my say so, on the quiet. There are some things I simply cannot do without performing a ritual alongside it. No-one else will have a ritual quite like mine (or for most people, at all) associated with that action and yet sitting here in the cold light of day it is absolutely the normality for me. It is what I need to do to leave the house, or cross the street or even say goodbye to a friend.

You see where my problem lies? My mind is already normalising the abnormal. Already I am doing things that go against my pure understanding of normality and replacing that interpretation with a new paradigm of normal. When does it stop, where does it stop? My fear is losing the things about me that I love, and that make others love me. I don't want people to have to understand me, tolerate me or pity me. I want the things I do to make sense and to some be absolutely magnificent. I want someone to know me as wonderful and there not need to be a 'but....' The biggest fear of all, though? That I have already lost it, I am already down that dark path and the kindness of those around me means they haven't the heart to tell me. The fear that long, long ago I stopped being me and now noone will ever be able to love the me that came into the world because he is lost, forever.

Its not a comfortable fear, but I know enough of mental illness to know the dangers that beset me.

No comments:

Post a Comment