Tuesday 19 October 2010

The Ultimate 80s Mixtape

Now thats what I call a Mudpuddlin mixtape!
Yes, friends, it is time for the first in yet another series of one, some or many threads. This time I am looking at the ultimate mix tape - what tape would I play to keep myself happy, were I to be denied access to the 80s forever? We have already seen in an earlier thread that the 80s rule, bar none, so whar are the biggest hits of that decade, and just why do they make it into my list? Read on, and soak up the cloying nostalgia!

1) Footloose, Kenny Loggins - Not only a rip-snorter of an 80s movie, but also has the fantastic Lori Singer in it - puppy love revisited!

2) Life In A Northern Town, Dream Academy - fantastic recurring riff and thoughtful lyrics, sums up the mood of the decade perfectly.

3) Personal Jesus, Depeche Mode - serious outbreak of cool going on iin the video to this, the lover as saviour. Reach Out And Touch Faith! Depeche Mode undoubtedly my band of the decade.

4) Killing Moon, Echo and the Bunnymen - One of the first songs I can remember giving me a real sense of alternative music. Sits beautifully outside the usual genres of the decade.

5) Prince Charming, Adam and the Ants - Has to be included if only for the brilliant video. Especially as it was one of the last appearances of Diana Dors on our screens. That's before we accept that its a severely catchy number. Ridicule? Nothing to be scared of!

6) Life's What You Make It, Talk Talk - another of the hits that first got me interested in the Indie/alternative music of the 80s, great for drumming along to!

7) Ride On Time, Black Box - fantastic beat and rhythm and one of the most dancable tunes of the later 80s - the sort of song you were guaranteed to dance to at the Saturday Night Hall of Residence disco.

8) Vienna, Ultravox - noone should be comdemned to be forever the number 2 behind Joe Dolce and 'shuddupya face'. To be fair, Midge Ure would make it with If I Was as well, but this one has mood and atmosphere to carry it into the compilation easily!

9) She Bangs the Drums, Stone Roses - you weren't anyone at uni back then if you didn't get into a little Stone Roses, and this one is the pick of their 1989 album. Seriously cool.

10) Red Red Wine, UB40 - it's not often a Birmingham Reggae band can add to a Neil Diamond classic, but Ali Campbell and co definitely achieve it with this one. Completely brilliant version.

11) Purple Rain, Prince - Has to be the guitar players choice - wonderful guitar accompaniament to this one, as well as a fabulous bassline.

12) Drive, The Cars - Is my favourite 80s hit. Great song to listen to at the end of the night, but also because of the video. Paulina Porizkova absolutely nails mental illness in the video and even now when I watch it I get a chill down my spine. Awesome song to end the compilation with!

No comments:

Post a Comment