Friday 4 March 2011

Eco Dave versus suburbia

Thought I might update the blog with the latest progress report on my conversion to the full bumpkin in my alter ego (fast becoming my actua-ego) Eco Dave the land-owning, produce-growing, sheep-worrying hero of stage and screen. In other words, how's it going in the new house, Dave?

I have ordered and will soon take delivery of a new shed. This is a fairly standard thing for someone with a largish garden to do, and, I'll wager, isn't making anyone tremble with delight. Except, for some strange reason, me. It's a Pent Shed, it's shiplap, and I am a little bit in love with it - moreover the good folks at Scott Sheds and Fencing (Costessey and Horsford) having quoted 4 weeks for delivery are doing it in one week, much kudos to them.

The shed is HQ, main base, Ice Station Alpha, the epicentre of all things produce. It is a haven from where my taming of and cherished victory over nature will be planned. It is a logistics centre, an armory, a bunker and storage facility. It is everything an outbuilding can be, or should be. The shed, I put it to you, is the dog's dangly bits. Like I said, I'm just a little bit in love with it.

That's not all, however. I have staked out some beds - I now know where the strawberries shall be found, from whence I shall retrieve potato, the location of salads and, most importantly of all, the mini orchard/fruitery has taken shape in my rather excited little mind. I have found the ideal sunlit upland for my greenhouse. It's all starting to take shape, rather nicely.

I have also been making friends. The cows in the top field came down to have a nose at what I was doing today. We traded comments on our respective cup of tea and fresh grass and agreed, in an unexcitable and respectful way, that life is quite sweet really.

And so it is.

2 comments:

  1. My husband has the same bizarre love for our new work room, a large dark recess with no heating, but shelves and work benches a-plenty. It's a man thing! Him and his mate got quite upset when I suggested I might use a bit of it to ferment some home-made wine!

    I've bought a blow-away greenhouse though, for my tomatoes and chillies :-) Rural pretensions in urban Wales ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is indeed a man thing. I am thinking of naming the shed. Ed perhaps, Ed the Shed ;)

    ReplyDelete