Wednesday 8 December 2010

The day before you left

I didn't spend a moment yesterday indulging
In the haven we set against the gathering gloom.
Not for a single one of your flowers did I stop and take
Glory in it's heady scent, nor spend a solitary moment
Before that crazy painting you bought from an unknown
A lifetime and more ago.
You fell for it's simple charm and I loved you
For such a wonderful, and gentle appreciation.
Our song played on the lunchtime hour, I meant
To call you through so we could smile and
Remember just how it became ours, but
Something held me back.
Perhaps it was weariness, perhaps complacency,
And maybe it was these twins that for too long
Have kept me silent on the matter of my
Adoration of you.
Now though we stand upon the further shore,
Yesterday evening a fact, and not a looming
Cloud on our horizon.
Now it is too late for me
To smell your flowers, and our song is dischordant.
My eyes and ears are full of all the places
You are not, and yet should be.
A cruel epiphany, but well earned.

No comments:

Post a Comment